The Stromboli Bread
Ok…my first blog about food will be on my Mom’s famous bread…if I don’t post in a few
days send help…she has killed me for sharing the secret family recipe 😉
Such a crowd pleaser and so easy & fun to make! Every time I make this bread for
friends they ask me for the recipe…so here ya go!
First you’ll have to decide if you want to use homemade pizza dough or if you’re in a
hurry & just want to buy the dough at the bakery.
Here is the recipe for the dough just incase you decide to be an over achiever & show us
all up 😉
Pizza Dough Ingredients for 2 indiviual pizzas
• 2 cups warm water
• 1 Tablespoon yeast
• 1 Tablespoon salt
• 5 cups flour, divided
• 4 Tablespoons olive oil (2 Tablespoons per pan)
1. Mix warm water and yeast and let sit 5 minutes until yeast proofs.
2. Add 2 ½ cups flour with proofed yeast and mix well in Kitchen Aid or with a dough
3. Add additional 2 ½ cups flour and salt, knead until smooth. Cover bowl with saran
wrap. Let dough rest in a ball for 10 to 20 minutes.
4. Pour 2 tablespoons of olive oil onto baking sheet or pizza pan and evenly coat bottom
of baking sheet or pizza pan.
5. Remove dough from bowl and add more flour as needed (a little at a time) to alleviate
the stickiness of the dough if needed. I add a few Tablespoons usually.
Split dough in half and roll each ball of dough very thin and place on greased pan.
Once you have the store bought or home made bread rolled out to desired thinness,
now choose you stuffing or go with my traditional version.
Mama’s recipe “The Bread”
*1 cup Ricotta cheese
*1 lb of Genoa salami (Boar’s head)
*1 lb of honey ham (Boar’s head)
*1 lb of picante sharp provolone (Boar’s head)
*tbsp of olive oil
*tbsp of yellow fine yellow cornmeal
*pre-heat oven to 375
*Roll pizza dough out to desired thinness & try to shape in a panoramic oval as best you
*poke with fork throughout (to avoid air bubbles)
*brush olive oil on dough & sprinkle cornmeal evenly
* flip over and start spreading ricotta cheese evenly on dough (leaving about 1 inch edge
all around untouched)
*layer the ham evenly on top so it completely covers cheese
*repeat with provolone
*repeat with salami
*begin to roll bread from shortest to shortest (top to bottom…not side to side)
(should only flip 3 times)
*fork down edges on each side & on top where edge of dough meets dough
* stick toothpicks in bread in the middle and ends to hold together
*place on pizza stone & bake for 40 minutes or until desired crispiness
Slice and serve with home-made marinara, pesto or by it self (recipes coming)